* This position will assist the Department Chairman and/or Departmental Administrator to achieve departmental goals by coordinating administrative, fiscal and human resource activities, equipment purchases, and by providing facilities management.
Preferred Skills and/or Experiences
Ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously while working independently
Solid understanding of accounting best practices and data integrity
Strong communication, leadership, problem solving skills
Demonstrable record of fostering continuous improvement, team-building and customer service
Key Functions and Expected Performances :
Provides leadership and administrative direction in priority setting, decision-making, and professional development oversight for one or more divisions within the Department of Pediatrics.
Supports faculty in all phases of the extramural funding process (pre-award to post-award) in order to optimize the potential for grant funding and to ensure all funding awarded is used to the specification of the funding agency. Manages multiple project budgets by analyzing and forecasting financial performance in order to optimize return to department and university, while adhering to guidelines of funding sources. Monitors terms and conditions of all service agreements and research contracts, ensuring compliance with terms and conditions of contracts office and funding source. Prepares routine and ad-hoc financial reports for faculty and division director, department administrator and Chairman that conform to Departmental, VUMC and other associated agencies. Remains current with changes in HR policies and procedures. Hires qualified staff utilizing behavioral and group interviews. Maintains appropriate staffing ratios consistent with the needs of the division and within budgetary parameters. Oversees grant support staff so as to build and enhance relationships with individual researchers, external community and academic collaborators to support development of funding partnerships. Investigates and identifies governmental, foundation, voluntary health organization, and other funding opportunities. Identifies and builds positive relationships with diverse funding sources, governmental agencies, academic research partners, and community organizations. Facilitates the transition of successful grant applications into active program development, operations or implementation. Tracks funding applications and designing strategies for improvement. Develops, implements, and monitors department budget expenses, assets, production, and projects.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 3 year relevant experience
* Day Shift/ Exempt Position
* The Department of Pediatrics is associated with some of the finest institutions in the country for the diagnosis and treatment of children. The department is housed within the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt , enabling a true synergy between the teaching faculty, house staff and the patients they treat. Vanderbilt trains 43 percent of all pediatricians practicing in Tennessee, and is a key training and research center for children's health specialists across the nation.
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Internal Number: 1908236
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.