ViTAL ( V anderb I lt Center for T obacco, A ddiction, and L ifestyle) is seeking a full-time, highly motivated, flexible, organized, and independent nurse to serve as a member of the Tobacco Treatment Service (TTS). The TTS is a clinical service, which provides tobacco cessation counseling and medication recommendations to smokers in the hospital and the clinics. As a member of the TTS, the successful candidate will perform the clinical duties with an eye toward quality improvement, which necessitates maintaining awareness of and familiarity with the tobacco-specific EHR fields, data entry into a REDCap quality improvement database, and reviewing and interpreting quality improvement data with the ViTAL team. The candidate will work in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team and have a strong understanding of evidenced based care/education, including critical review of evolving medical literature pertinent to tobacco treatment, including pharmacotherapy. This individual should demonstrate medical knowledge, clinical competence, sound judgment, advanced professional communication skills, timely documentation and a commitment to ongoing scholarship and professional development. Additionally, the candidate will serve as an ambassador for change across the clinical enterprise, including the adoption of system-wide improved methods to treat tobacco use.
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Complete Tobacco Treatment certification training and maintain TTS certification.
2. Design, implement, conduct, and evaluate health wellness and education services relevant to tobacco cessation for the Tobacco Treatment Service (TTS).
3. Assess patient's individual health risks as they relate to tobacco use and serve as a source of knowledge of available treatment options. Comprehensively evaluate patients' tobacco use and recommend proven cessation methods such as pharmacotherapy and counseling.
4. Track program participation and gather program data using the electronic health record and REDCap.
5. Perform critical review of evolving medical literature. This means proactively looking up the answers to clinical questions that arise during practice, and using trusted sources such as Pubmed.
6. Create, maintain, and disseminate health education information relevant to tobacco cessation to hospital staff, patients, and team members. One example is creating a
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.